Monday, September 24, 2007

Another way of life

We went on a barbecue with some new friends. She is from Thailand and he is from Portugal. They live in an camping van with their two kids. They are both 22 years old and have been travelling around the world for the last 4 years. Pedro already was travelling as a kid, since his father was doing exactly the same as he is doing today...selling handcrafted jewelry on the sidewalk. It was as if we were back in the sixties (well that's what John says...you see I can't really know that since I am rather "young"). It is amazing to hear a very young person - Pedro - saying " you can not get anything good quality anymore, everything has changed to the worse". I don't agree, some good things has disappeared, but there is also somethings that has changed to the better.....an example...I love the fact that the the Internet has given me the opportunity to get connected with people doing things similar to what I do....If I want a good quality silk jersey, and I just can't find it anywhere in my local stores...well it is no problem anymore...see I think that is a good thing for people not living in the big cities...



6 comments:

karin said...

Nice pics. Sounds adventurous.

Anonymous said...

You're so right Mette, but what an interesting/different life they live, huh? It must be great to meet such different people!
BIG HUGS!
When are you coming home???
;o)

Fine Little Day said...

Sounds pretty good that bohemian life.

Anonymous said...

hello, I'm frenche but we just moved to a small twon of Portugal and without internet i can't do nothing (there's no fabrics, no pattern, ect). Thanks for your nices photos and sorry for my bad english.

Graça Paz said...

It´s fantastic to read this story!I´m Portuguese and i´m amazed with this story!The kids are baeutiful Pedros wife it´s baeutiful ,but ,i agree with you 100% Internet gave "small"artists the opurtunaty to share there work in an worldwide scale and yes ,i buy all my fabrics online ...and labels..also somebooks!I work like you at home ,and althougth i love to go downtown(baixa in Portuguese!) to buy me some material i also like to buy without having to stop working!

Red Hen (dette) said...

True..and I like the way the net connects you to people around the world who have similar thoughts and the encouragement and inspiration you can get from sharing ideas and thoughts.